Boston Manor is a Grade 1, English Jacobean manor house built in 1623.
Once the site of a medieval estate, later owned in the 16th century by Sir Thomas Gresham. In 1623, the site was inherited by Lady Mary Reade who built the core of the current house. In 1670 the house and estate were sold to James Clitherow, who altered and extended it. The house remained with the Clitherow family until 1924 when it was sold to Brentford Urban District Council (and is now owned by Hounslow Council).
Meister Masonry were initially approached by Purcell UK to visit site and provide guidance/advice on the existing Portico stonework.
The stonework was found in varying stages of disrepair and it was agreed that Meister Masonry would undertake works that included cleaning of the stonework, repairs where possible and replacements if repairs were not a viable option.
Having identified the existing stone as Caen, French Limestone, Meister surveyed each piece of stone, provided it with a unique identification number and then proceeded to carefully dismantle and package the Portico. The dismantled stonework was taken to our production facility in Gloucestershire, where it was cleaned using a Doff system.
Working closely with the lead Architect from Purcell, several visits were made to our facility. It was during these visits that the agreement was made on which stones should be repaired and which required replacement, all in conjunction and consultation with Historic England.
Following confirmation of repair or replace, our design team began producing 2D and 3D models of the stonework being replaced, whilst the stonework eligible for repair was left with our team of highly skilled Banker masons.
Following completion of the design modelling and stone repair works, the new stone was produced using a mixture of our CNC machines and our Banker/Carver masons, before being carefully packaged and despatched back to site for installation by one of our fitting teams.
In total 36.no existing pieces of stonework were repaired with 27.no pieces having to be made from new.
Client: Hounslow County Council
Architect: Purcell UK
Materials: Caen, French Limestone